This post contains affiliate links. If you click through & make a purchase, we will earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read our Affiliate Disclaimer for more info.
Hello and welcome back to KatDoesDisney!! I’m all about anything that can make my Walt Disney World vacation easier. I love the Mobile Ordering option in the parks and resort hotels, but there’s something else that increases the convenience factor… MagicBands!! MagicBands are your key to unlocking the magic at Walt Disney World. Here’s my complete guide to Disney MagicBands!
Just keep in mind these beauties are only available in Florida. Sorry, Disneyland!
Ordering MagicBands at Home
When you book your Walt Disney World vacation, there will be a prompt on the My Disney Experience app or MyDisneyExperience.com that will allow you to customize your MagicBands. You can select from a variety of color options as well as add a name. Don’t worry because your name appears on the underside of the band. Previously, you were only allowed to select solid colors, however, Disney recently changed this so resort guests can upgrade to a design for a $10 USD fee!
If you book your Walt Disney World vacation far enough in advance, you can select to have your customized MagicBands delivered to your home! It is very exciting to receive the box in the mail! You also have the option to pick up your Bands at the front desk of your Disney World Resort hotel.
If you stay at a non-Disney World Resort hotel, you will not receive a complimentary MagicBand. More on that later in this post…
MagicBands for Annual Passholders
Receiving your MagicBand if you purchase an Annual Pass is a bit different. You do not receive your MagicBand right after you purchase your Annual Pass. Rather, you must first activate your Annual Pass by going to any of the Walt Disney World Parks. Once you use the Pass to enter a Park, Disney will mail you your customized MagicBand with the Passholder Band slider. In other words, you will not have your customized Passholder MagicBand for your first visit to the Walt Disney World Parks.
About the MagicBand
These Bands are not just the perfect outfit accessory, they also serve a multitude of convenient functions:
- MagicBands serve as your park ticket (or Annual Pass), FastPass+ tickets, PhotoPass cards (for both pictures and video!). Additionally, guests staying on-property at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel can link a credit card to the MagicBand (you get to select a card to have on file).
- They are made of a hypoallergenic, non-latex material and are waterproof. MagicBands are flexible and comfortable to wear, even in the hot Floridian summer! Just be aware you may leave with a tan line on your wrist 🙂
- The MagicBand easily adapts to fit nearly any guest. It is adjustable and has a peel-away layer to make the Band small enough to comfortably fit young children.
- Of course, these beauties can be customized beyond color and design selection! You can add colorful accessories, such as Band Its, that are sold throughout the parks.
- You can absolutely have more than one MagicBand attached to your Disney account. That way you can interchange them to match your mood, outfit, or special occasion! You can easily manage them on the My Disney Experience app or online.
Pro Tip: MagicBands do have a tendency to pop off, so be sure to secure yours with a Bitbelt!
Using the MagicBand
This guide to Disney MagicBands wouldn’t be complete without going over how to use it! All you have to do is simply touch your Band to touch points in places such as resort room doors, theme park and water park entrances, FastPass+ entrances and cast mobile devices. It’s as easy as touching the Mickey on your MagicBand to the Mickey on the touch point!
If you wish to make a purchase on Disney World Resort property, simply link a credit or debit card to your My Disney Experience account (on-property guests only). You must enter a four-digit PIN that at the time you are making a resort purchase (just as you would for a debit card). You can select and program your PIN in your Disney Experience account.
The Disney MagicBand uses radio frequency (RF) technology that connects you to your vacation plans, but keeps your data safe and secure. No personal information is stored on the MagicBand itself. Additionally, they do not use GPS technology.
Day or Off-Site Guests
Day and off-site guests will not receive a complimentary or discounted Disney MagicBand. Instead, they can purchase a Band at merchandise locations in the parks and at Disney Springs. These guests can also purchase them at ShopDisney.com. MagicBands range in price from $14.99- $30.99 USD. The more expensive Bands have designs and are typically limited edition. Day and off-site guests will not be able to make resort purchases using their MagicBand! That feature is reserved to on-property Disney World hotel guests only.
Instead of purchasing a MagicBand, day or off-site guests may use their RF-enabled theme park admission to enter the theme parks and redeem FastPass+ selections.
I hope you find this guide to Disney MagicBands useful and informative for your next trip!
Until next time, cheers!!